Friday, August 9, 2013

Laundry tips

I have some friends who rave about OxyClean. Our Costco had a big bin of it, and because of their generous return policy (any time, full price back), I bought a tub and brought it home.

It's supposed to help your own detergent work better, so I tossed a scoop in several loads of laundry. No improvement. It's also supposed to be amazing on spots, so I wet some and scrubbed it in. Nada.

Returned it.

Oil and Other Spots
Then my friend Liz told me her laundry secret: for those challenging spots, mix hydrogen peroxide with Dawn, and scrub it in with an old toothbrush. Magic. It may take more than one time, but it visibly lessens with each wash, and many times, it disappears the first time.

I am a master at dropping food down my front, leaving oil spots in the laundered shirts. This mixture removes the spots and lets me avoid throwing away otherwise perfectly good clothing.

Smells
I play ice hockey, and sometimes the stink just doesn't leave my stuff afterward. I had one red shirt that I wore under my jersey and really liked--and it came out of the dryer stinking like B.O. I rewashed it with no improvement. I soaked it in a baking soda-water mixture. That helped a bit.

Then I started washing my stinky stuff with either a cup of vinegar or a cup of washing soda. If I'm not mistaken, this makes the laundry a little more acidic or a little more basic. Either way, it really helps destinkify my hockey stuff. And I get to keep my favorite red shirt!

What's your favorite laundry tip?

No comments: