Friday, June 21, 2013

Welcome back!

I haven't been posting, but I have been saving!

I was just raving to a friend about reading books on the Kindle app on my iPad. For free!

The Kindle app is free (if you have a tablet, there is likely a Kindle app for it), and the books are borrowed through my local library and the San Francisco Public Library, online. I paid for public parking ($5) in SF in order to go in person into the library to get a SFPL library card, which is available to anyone.

With my library-card number, I log in to the Overdrive site, put books on hold, and reserve them. When they're available, I log back in, click "download" and "Kindle" (for book format), and it transfers me to the Amazon site, where I select my iPad as the device. The next time I start my Kindle app and pull down to "sync," my new books show up.

I don't always finish them in three weeks, but if I want to finish the book, I just reserve it again, and the next time the book syncs, Kindle remembers what page I'm on.

I also get audio books this way. I have an older iPod Touch that I use for audio books for any car trip, even short ones. I download the book in the Overdrive app on my laptop, pull it into iTunes, and sync it to the iPod to listen to it in my car. I am always wanting to read, and listening to books in the car allows me to check them off my list all that much faster!

If you're in the Bay Area, I highly recommend getting a SFPL library card in order to have access to more digital books (audio or Kindle/ePub etc.), and to get familiar with the digital books from your local library as well.

Happy reading!

No comments: